Best Kayak Stabilizers & Outriggers – Top 5 Models [Reviewed]
Safety is perhaps the topmost concern, not only for newbie kayakers but also for experts. Stability when paddling is a common problem for paddlers regardless of their skill level. That said, if you want to be sure your kayak doesn’t flip over, we suggest that you consider buying a kayak outrigger.
As the name suggests, kayak stabilizers and outriggers add to the stability of the kayak without compromising its maneuverability. However, this can only be true if you find the best kayak stabilizer and outriggers.
There are endless models out on the market, which make the selection process quite confusing. The best outrigger should be designed with high-quality materials, offer maximum stability, easy to install and affordable.
To ease your search, our kayak stabilizer & outriggers review below will guide your purchase decisions.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Kayak Stabilizer & Outriggers On The Market
- 1.1 1. Scotty #302 Kayak Stabilizer System – Best Overall Kayak Stabilizer
- 1.2 Pros:
- 1.3 Cons:
- 1.4 2. Hobie Sidekick Ama Stabilizer Kit – Best Multipurpose Kayak Stabilizer
- 1.5 Pros:
- 1.6 Cons:
- 1.7 3. Brocraft Kayak Outriggers – Best Rated Kayak Stabilizer
- 1.8 Pros:
- 1.9 Cons:
- 1.10 4. Inspired by Nature Kayak Outriggers – Best Kayak Stabilizer for Durability
- 1.11 Pros:
- 1.12 Cons:
- 1.13 5. Canoe Kayak Outrigger Stabilizer – Best Versatile Outrigger
- 1.14 Pros:
- 1.15 Cons:
- 2 Things to Consider Before Buying Kayak Stabilizer and Outriggers
- 3 Final Verdict
Top 5 Kayak Stabilizer & Outriggers On The Market
1. Scotty #302 Kayak Stabilizer System – Best Overall Kayak Stabilizer
The Scotty #302 Kayak Stabilizer System wins the tag as the most safety assured kayak stabilizer and outrigger due to many reasons. It is the most popular and well-rated kayak stabilizer due to its unmatched quality and efficiency. In fact, experts are even able to stand up while kayaking, perhaps a useful aspect for those who need kayaks for angling.
This kit comes with two 30-inch inflatable pontoons that ascertain much stability. The pontoons are easy to inflate and takes few minutes. The kit features a pair of anodized aluminum arms that are 28-inches long with mounts and rod holders.
The pontoons are made of high-quality puncture and tear resistant PVC materials with coated outer shell and durable inner bladder for ascertained toughness. The Scotty #302 Kayak Stabilizer System is adaptable to a good number of kayaks and canoes. Thanks to the portable clamp mount and the four locking combination deck mounts.
Installing this stabilizer adds approximately 30lbs of weight to the buoyancy of your canoe or kayak. With such additional weight, you can be sure of exceptional stability, without compromised maneuverability and control.
- Provides additional stability
- Adds 30 pounds of buoyancy
- Made of durable materials
- Features mounts and attachments
- Easy installation
- Not the cheapest on the market
2. Hobie Sidekick Ama Stabilizer Kit – Best Multipurpose Kayak Stabilizer
Increase your kayak stability with the Hobie Sidekick Ama Stabilizer Kit, a system well known for its high-quality and durable make. It is the best multi-purpose kayak stabilizer system as it works best for fishing, diving, sailing and even photo shoots.
This outrigger is very lightweight, weighing only 9lbs and easy to install. It can be quickly inflated using a one-way valve. Deflating it also easy and can be accomplished by unscrewing the valve caps. Installing the Hobie Sidekick Ama Stabilizer Kit requires four bolts and expanding well nuts, which are included in the package.
The stabilizer comes with cross arms that are made of stainless materials. The arms can also be adjusted to three floating positions, which are the low, medium and high by a simple twist and click. With such versatility, you shouldn’t be worried about maneuverability of the kayak.
- Adjustable float height with simple twist and click
- Three positions – low, medium and high
- Inflated with few breaths
- Rapid deflate
- Easy to install
- Quality make
- May not fit all Hobie products
3. Brocraft Kayak Outriggers – Best Rated Kayak Stabilizer
The Brocraft Kayak Outriggers, though not widely used, remains the best-rated kayak stabilizer, perhaps due to the buoyancy experienced by those who have tried it. This system meets its promise of providing expert stability to both novice and expert kayakers.
The outrigger is made of tough and durable molded PVC materials. The floats are attached to the 32-inch long arms that are made from marine grade aluminum, perhaps the reason behind its undoubted durability.
To ease the installation process, you can consider buying this kayak outrigger with mount brackets. This kit uses the lock rod holders to hold the outriggers that should be well positioned on either side of the kayak.
- Made of quality grade aluminum
- Best for fishing
- 32” long outrigger arms
- Tough and durable
- Mounting hardware is stainless steel
- Two-years limited warranty
- Installing requires that users drill four holes
- Lacks setup instructions
4. Inspired by Nature Kayak Outriggers – Best Kayak Stabilizer for Durability
If you are in the market for a kayak outrigger that will serve you for years, consider the Inspired by Nature Kayak Outriggers. This kayak kit is made in the USA with the finest materials on the market.
Besides the ascertained durability, unmatched stability is the other benefit of installing this system to your kayak. Numerous reviewers have attested unbelievable stability that allows them to stand without risks of flipping over in their kayaks after installing this system.
This comes in handy if you plan to engage in various water activities, especially angling. You should also consider having the Inspired by Nature Kayak Outriggers for additional buoyancy. A few additional pounds often comes in handy if you plan to catch a lot of fish.
Intriguing design, great buoyancy, and durability provided by the furniture grade PVC decrease the chances that the Inspired by Nature Kayak Outriggers won’t meet your expectations.
- Superb stability
- Additional pounds for buoyancy
- Comes with installation hardware
- Super durable materials
- Not easy to install
5. Canoe Kayak Outrigger Stabilizer – Best Versatile Outrigger
Versatility when it comes to kayak stabilizers and outriggers describes the Canoe Kayak Outrigger Stabilizer. That said, this kit has adjustable arms that can be lifted above water when you don’t need to use them.
This feature is useful especially if you want to add some speed to your kayaking experience. However, when it is time to consider stability, simply drop the arms down below the water level.
Setting up the Canoe Kayak Outrigger Stabilizer is quite easy. There is no technical knowledge required, and all the instructions are outlined in the manual. You won’t also need to buy additional accessories as this kit comes with all the installation hardware required.
Durability and quality of materials with this outrigger cannot be questioned. For buoyancy, it provides approximately 60 pounds of additional weight, highly appreciated by fishermen looking for more weight capacity to store fish.
- Quality materials
- Easy to mount
- Adjustable hands
- Extra buoyancy
- Quite expensive
Things to Consider Before Buying Kayak Stabilizer and Outriggers
Finding the right stabilizer and outrigger for your kayak can be quite daunting. Due to this, you should begin by understanding some of the basics of what makes your fishing kayak stable or unstable. Consider the following when it comes to selecting;
- Buoyancy – this is the weight or volume of each kayak half. Consider an outrigger that provides additional buoyancy for ascertained safety.
- Price – kayaks are available at different costs. Consider one that comes at an affordable price with intriguing features.
- Additional accessories – kayaks require installation hardware to mount. Whereas some models come with these accessories, others lack them. To relieve you of extra cost, consider a model with included accessories.
Safety is of immense importance when it comes to kayaking. Therefore, for newbies and experts to enjoy their escapade, it is prudent to install kayak outriggers to prevent flipping over. A stability system provides the much-needed stability as well as extra buoyancy.
To ease your search for these products, our kayak stabilizer & outriggers review above simplifies the available options. Consider a kit that provides extra buoyancy, affordable and made of quality materials.
From the options above, which is your favorite? Share with us in the comments section below!