The 5 Best Kayak Helmets 2020 – Top Models [Reviewed]
Kayaking is one of the best ways to relax and enjoy the outdoors, but it’s also a top sport for thrill-seekers! If you love to challenge yourself to raging rapids or choppy waves, buying one of the best kayak helmets helps to ensure your safety while launching into adventure.
There are plenty of kayak helmets on the market, so it’s important to consider one that’s comfortable, fits appropriately, is strong and durable and has efficient drainage and ventilation.
To help you decide, check out our top five picks on the market today.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Kayak Helmets On The Market
- 1.1 1. Triple Eight Water Halo Helmet – Best Feature-Packed Kayak Helmet
- 1.2 Pros:
- 1.3 Cons:
- 1.4 2. Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet – Best Comfortable Kayak Helmet
- 1.5 Pros:
- 1.6 Cons:
- 1.7 3. Pro-Tec Classic Certified Skate Helmet – Best Kayak Helmet for Protection
- 1.8 Pros:
- 1.9 Cons:
- 1.10 4. NRS Chaos Side Cut Helmet – Best Styled Kayak Helmet
- 1.11 Pros:
- 1.12 Cons:
- 1.13 5. Pro-Tec Ace Water Helmet – Best-Vented Kayak Helmet
- 1.14 Pros:
- 1.15 Cons:
- 2 Things to Consider Before Buying a Kayak Helmet
- 3 Final Thoughts
Top 5 Kayak Helmets On The Market
1. Triple Eight Water Halo Helmet – Best Feature-Packed Kayak Helmet
The Triple Eight Water Halo Helmet brings some intriguing features that kayaking enthusiasts will love. However, above all, the comfort provided by any helmet is paramount. This model doesn’t disappoint.
This helmet is made from super comfortable sweat-free halo water liner with convenient construction featuring three foam layers covered in plush fabric. With this feature, hygiene isn’t an issue. Sweat savers in the inner lining soak up sweat from the brow and head.
To capitalize on this, the sweat saver can be removed for cleaning purposes after a few uses. To meet its protection functions, the outer aspect of the Triple Eight Water Halo Helmet is covered with a high-density, ABS outer shell.
Additionally, to offer maximum comfort, this helmet comes with a dual-density closed-cell EVA foam headliner.
- Super comfortable
- Tough outer shell
- Removable sweat saver
- Sturdy construction
- Enough air ventilation
- Specifically designed for whitewater
- Lacks ear protection
- May not fit all head shapes perfectly
2. Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet – Best Comfortable Kayak Helmet
If you’re in the market for a helmet that focuses on sturdiness and comfort, consider the Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet. With sturdiness comes great protection, major perk of having this helmet.
The sturdiness of the outer shell cannot be ignored, as it will remain the only thing between your head and tough water rocks. It is due to this that the Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet uses a thin ABS outer shell. This not only makes the helmet durable but also tough and strong to handle any impact.
Note that the thin nature of the outer shell doesn’t compromise on its protection functions. Ventilation of any kayak helmet is also of immense importance in ascertaining safety and comfort. That said, the Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet is well ventilated to provide great comfort and safety when in use.
Ease of use is the other benefit of this helmet. Like other high-end products, this product features a simple button that eases tightening and loosening of helmet straps. It also meets safety certifications.
- Well ventilated
- Ease of use
- Meets safety standards
- Tough outer shell
- Lacks earpieces that keep ears warm
3. Pro-Tec Classic Certified Skate Helmet – Best Kayak Helmet for Protection
Whereas other kayak helmets mentioned in this review provide utmost protection from impacts, the Pro-Tech Classic Certified Skate Helmet is best rated due to its careful attention to providing exceptional protection against unforeseen water impacts during kayaking.
Besides providing great protection, this helmet does well when it comes to hygiene matters and comfort. Like other models, the shell has a high outer density with 2-stage foam liner on the inside that provides great protection against low impacts.
To prevent drip sweating, the Pro-Tech Classic Certified Skate Helmet features a convenient, plush moisture-wicking liner with fabrics that allows users not only to remain dry but also comfortable during kayaking adventures.
Properly spaced vents ensure sufficient airflow in and out of the helmet to enhance its comfortability. Note that the weight of any helmet has a hand in determining how comfortable the helmet feels. The Pro-Tech Classic Certified Skate Helmet is extra lightweight with much versatility that isn’t found in other helmets.
- Sweat Liner
- Enough ventilation
- Great protection
- A more expensive choice
4. NRS Chaos Side Cut Helmet – Best Styled Kayak Helmet
If you’re looking for a combination of style, durability, and comfort, consider the NRS Chaos Side Cut Helmet. This cheaper kayak helmet provides as many features as those helmets available at more expensive prices.
Some of the intriguing features of the NRS Chaos Side Cut Helmet include;
- It is adjustable thus gives you the much-needed features.
- Features a durable ABS plastic shell that dissipates/handles impacts expertly.
- Has eight ventilation ports that keep users cool on hot days.
- Has removable ear pads for extra protection, which can be easily removed to enhance hearing.
- BOA dial fit retention harness enables users to customize their fit for total security.
- Comes in multiple sizes with the quick adjust ensures that you find the right fit.
- Best for style and comfort
- Dual-density adds comfort
- Can be too small for some
5. Pro-Tec Ace Water Helmet – Best-Vented Kayak Helmet
Comfort and design are key features when looking for kayak helmets. Additionally, the Pro-Tech Ace Water Helmet provides great ventilation apart from other main kayak helmet features.
The shell of this helmet is high impact, meaning that it handles shocks of good impacts and remains intact. You should also not worry about damage to your ear as guards prevent damage.
The helmet is made with safety and comfort in mind with the headlock interior fit supporting the back of the head for maximum safety. Vents, on the other hand, ensure a free flow of air providing a comfortable experience.
- High impact outer shell
- Removable ear guards
- Well ventilated
- Water may lodge to the earpiece
Things to Consider Before Buying a Kayak Helmet
Now that you’ve had a look at five of the top kayak helmets on the market, consider the following factors when searching for kayak helmets.
Type of kayak helmets
Kayak helmets are available in three types. They include:
- Half-cut helmets: they sit above the ears providing good protection.
- Full-cut helmets: hey extend over the ears providing more protection and cover.
- Face-full helmets: quite uncommon, they protect the jaw and lower portion of the face.
You should also look into:
- The comfort of the helmet
- Fitting, which affects the retention of the helmet in the head.
- Strength and durability of the helmet
- Drainage and ventilation of the helmet
Our kayak helmet review highlights some of the best models as well as things to look for when choosing one, to ease your selection process. Now, it should be easier to find a sturdy, comfortable, affordable and well-ventilated helmet just for you.
From the models discussed above, which is your favorite? Share with us below! If you can’t wait to get out and tackle some rapids, check out the world’s most thrilling spots.